Monday, January 7, 2013

TEA LIGHT HOLDER

Scroll down to bottom of post for a large view.
I made this as a Christmas decoration but it isn't necessarily Christmasy so I am leaving it out.  I want to make a few more to hang around the living room but it took a while to make the flowers so I am not sure when I will get to it.

I started out cutting four Spellbinders Labels 20 dies out of grunge paper.  Make sure to use the paper not the board as I hear it doesn't cut very well with the dies.  I glued two together for each side then painted them a bronze metallic color.
I then cut a strip of paper (I think this was Graphic 45) high enough to reach the top of the tea light and long enough to go around. Then added a quarter inch extra along the long side.  This was nothced as shown.  Not giving exact dimensions just in case tea lights differ by size.
I cut two layers a Floral Doilies Motif die of paper and one layer of a plain circle of grunge paper.  The circle fit inside the two floral layers to form a sandwich.  This provided support for the tea light. The strip was wrapped around the tea light for size then adhered to the base.
The tea light can now be popped in and out to access the switch.
I Circle was punch and a little hole made to slip over the top of the light. I did attach this part so it wouldn't slide off.
For the flowers, I used the Posy Patch Die from Heartfelt Creations.One each in the smallest and up to the fourth largest of both a solid color and printed.

The edges were sponged with a light brown ink.
On the smallest two flower sizes, I used a stylus and a foam mat and worked in circles to bring the petals toward the center.
On the two larger flowers, I turned the petals outward with a piercing tool by wrapping the edges of the petals around it.
The two largest petals were attached directly to each other and a pop dot was placed on top.


The next set was then placed on top of the pop dot and the center on that.
The flowers were then added around the edges of the candle.  It took 5 loosely placed to go completely around.


The tea light  was attached to the frame with glue.  It took a while to hold it together while the glue set because it is an awkward arrangement.  I added a couple flourishes and flowers to the edges and wrapped some wire around a pen to make a hanger. 

It looked so pretty lit up at Christmas!

 

1 comment:

Amy Johnson said...

Wow! Your are so creative!