Thursday, April 23, 2009

SCRAPPY FROGS CHALLENGE #3

WHAT IS CUTE AND SWEET,
COMES IN A VARIETY OF FLAVORS,
AND IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST TRENDS IN COOKING, HOME DEC AND CRAFTING?

THE CUPCAKE of course.

I recently saw a ceramic flower pot in the shape of a cupcake paper and thought it would make a cute party favor or table decoration if made out of paper. As I was trying to figure out how to make one I decided to check to see if anyone else had done it. And of course as the Bare Naked Ladies sing...."Its all been doooone befooore" (love those guys, eh). I found this great tutorial (Leah and friends are too cute also) and went ahead and modified it to suit my purpose. Super easy to do and they look almost good enough to eat.

So on to the Scrappy Frogs Challenge
It is to be a spring floral project and this is what I chose to do.

I made the cupcake paper ala Leah but used my fiskars circle punch around the edge first, then made my folds. I also did an inner layer slightly taller in the turqoise color as a liner and cut the edges of that with a curved pair of scissors. I glued the two together and then cut some florist foam to fit inside. I used a glue gun to glue the foam into the cupcake paper pretty much as they did in the tutorial. I didn't have any ruffled ribbon for the icing so I made my own by running a basting stitch down the middle of flat ribbon and pulling on it till I got the desired rufflyness (is that a word?).

What says spring more than daffodils right? I made the daffodils using this tutorial. I did use a different punch for the center and the main flower petals cause i don't have those particular punches....yet. The largest petals were run through a crimper before punching them and I also sponged the edges with ink to give them a little more color. I glued the flowers and leaves into the foam and then glued the ribbon in around them. I also made the wire springs that attach the flowers to the foam out of a thin green wire that I wrapped around my SU piercing tool. It is so cute how they bobble when they are moved. I really like how this turned out. I think I will put one of my shrinky Happy Birthday cupcake picks into this and give it as a birthday gift.

Hop on over to Scrappy Frogs and join in on the challenge, they have some awesome prizes this time.

And while we are on the subject of cakes, check out the Cake Wrecks blog listed among my favs. If you have a twisted sense of humor like me you will love it. If not you will find it amusing at least. Always starts my day with a giggle.

Project stuff
Paper and ink- Close to my Heart, sorbet, creme brulet, tulip
SU, tempting turqoise
Basic grey
Punches-SU,Punch Bunch
gross grain ribbon, flower styrofoam, light weight green wire
Punches

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very, very nice. I think I am going to have to try one of these. Thanks for the tutorials. Look forward to seeing more of your designs.

Lelia Pierce said...

Too cute, Kim! :O)

Froggy said...

Love it!! Now i want to go make one and i need to clean house! LOL!! ;)

Joanne Travis said...

Wow!! This is so beautifully done!! I love all of your details, this is really amazing.

Stacy said...

OMG!!! I (gasp) LOVE this!!! Beautiful, amazing, I am afraid to try it!!!!

Jana said...

WOW. This is so cute. Love it.